Do you need translations of documents written in German? Are you having trouble reading old German handwriting? Whether you are looking for translation or looking for someone to transcribe texts written in difficult scripts, I can help.
I am fluent in German, and can easily read texts printed in the old Gothic font (Fraktur) as well as letters and manuscripts handwritten in the old German scripts (Sütterlin and Kurrent). These scripts are so challenging to decipher that most native German speakers today cannot read them! (And for family researchers they are of great importance, as many immigration documents were handwritten in these scripts.)
As is standard, I charge per word (calculated by the final translated word count). Hourly rates can be arranged if you have a large amount of material to be translated. If you are interested in such a service, please contact me. All prices are in USD.
Translation of Printed Material (Articles, Documents, etc.)
- Standard content: 15 cents per word
- Technical content (i.e. academic or scientific texts): 22 cents per word
Translation of Handwritten Material (Letters, Notes, etc.—INCLUDES TRANSCRIPTION AS WELL)
- Material in traditional Latin script (i.e. our English script): 30 cents per word
- Material in old German script (Sütterlin or Kurrent): 45 cents per word (if the handwriting is particularly difficult, a surcharge may be necessary and will be negotiated prior to the start of work)
Transcription of Handwritten Material (WITHOUT TRANSLATION)
- Material in traditional Latin script (i.e. our English script): 18 cents per word
- Material in old German script (Sütterlin or Kurrent): 32 cents per word (if the handwriting is particularly difficult, a surcharge may be necessary and will be negotiated prior to the start of work)
Other Translation Services
If you have irregular documents, like immigration forms, etc., that you would like translated (or transcribed) in whole or in part, I can offer you a quote.
Ready to get started with translations or transcriptions? Contact me here!